Sunday 26 July 2009

Alum Ale House, River Drive, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 1JR. Tel:08721 077 077.

The Alum Ale House.
What a delightful old building. The interior is really welcoming with a lovely proper pub atmosphere. I stood for some time at one of the bay windows just looking at the view up the old Tyne past the ferry landing. I had to congratulate Tony Shawcross, the owner, for making such a good job of the place.

Now to the real ale selection.
Unbelievable!! And all 9, yes 9, sittng there waiting to be supped.
Cumberland Ale, Hobgoblin, Jennings Cocker Hoop and Sneck Lifter, Banks Bitter and Original, Pedigree and on and on. Wake me up, I'm dreaming. Oh no, there's another room downstairs with umpteen more pumps!!
I could have stopped there for hours drinking and admiring the bar and the view but alas, time
caught up and we had to move on.

One criticism. For the likes of me, the stairs were a small nuisance but it won't stop me from calling again.

A must for the real ale enthusiast.

The main bar. Real ale paradise!







Tony, the owner, at the 2nd bar downstairs. Another real ale oasis!







How did I escape? My mate had to drag me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment