Sunday 1 February 2009

Crown Posada Newcastle

The Crown Posada, 31 The Side, Newcastle NE1 3JE. Tel:0191 2321269.

What a fabulous old pub.

From the old stained glass windows at the front, not forgeting the ancient valve radio there, past the bar with its ancient radiogram and ancient 78's,(which are still in use) to the cosy tables leading to the rear.
All that and the whole place is only about 12 feet wide! I tell a lie, there's a little snug at the front about 12 feet square. All the tables but one were occupied and it was quiet!
It used to be our favourite meeting place before the gang descended on one of the multitude of eateries around the quayside.I don't know how we got a seat.But we did and the beer was always spot on.
Which brings me to the sole reason for my visit at lunchtime--the real ale.
The Posada has six hand pumps of luscious ales to choose from. Hadrian Brewery's Gladiator, a dark but not too powerful beer, went down so well I was forced to have another one. My arm was sore with being twisted. What a chore this survey is turning out to be.
I must say, even the toilets were clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment