Thursday 29 July 2010

Surtees Arms, Chilton Lane, Ferryhill, County Durham, DL17 0DH. Tel:01740 655724.

LEFT CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

The Surtees Arms was 60yards further up the road. My car's sat/nav turned me into a side street! Funny. When I looked in the mirror, I looked exactly the same. Not like a side street!
Stupid boy.
The pub occupies a corner site with the Yard Of Ale Brewery at the rear. It opens at 4pm.

I was made most welcome by the governor, busy at his books when I limped in, and he very kindly filled out my notes for me.
CAMRA Durham pub of the year, the Surtees is an old place, with the look of a proper drinking establishment. Offering four real ales.
Top of the bill is his own One Foot In The Yard at 4.5%, Best By Yards Best Bitter at 4.3%, both of which are alternated with the brewery's First Yard, Yard Hopper, Winters Yard, Yards Ahead, Y'Ard Ass, Yard Bird, and a good Black as Owt Stout.
A Cornish Orchards Scrumpy and the guest Hadrians Gladiator were the other two.

The Surtees is open all day on Saturday and Sunday when food is served.
A most enjoyable pint was had, and a bit of convivial conversation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment