Thursday 15 October 2009

The Barley Mow. Durham Road, Birtley, County Durham. DH3 2AG. Tel:0191 4104504.


LEFT CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

The Barley Mow at Birtley first came in to my life at the back end of the 1960s, when I worked at the Drum Industrial Estate which is directly opposite. It was a liquid lunch time escape from the drudgery of the job I had at the time.

I'd never heard of 'real ale' at the time so what a pleasure it was to go back to find this old pub is awash with the stuff now. 8 hand pumps of various beers!
Daleside Blonde and Old Leg Over, Black Sheep, Cathedral Golden Imp, Marston Moor Cromwells Ale, but I plumped for Wychwood's Bountiful.

The bar has been kept very basic but the lounge is well carpeted out and is comfortably decorated with plenty of solid wood. There's a fair sized eating area too.

It was nice to see the place looking good with tasty beer on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment