Saturday 30 May 2009

The South Causey Inn. Beamish Burn Road, Stanley, Co.Durham. DH9 0LS. Tel:01207 235555.


The South Causey Inn. I was making my way to Sunniside via the scenic route on a hot summers day when I stumbled across the South Causey Inn. And am I glad I did. It's beautiful.
In something like 100 acres of its own land comprising livery stables, fishing lake, herb garden, sheep, pigs, alpacas! and, oh, I almost forgot, a fabulous 16th century farmhouse extended to accomodate a restaurant and bar! I decided to settle down outside, admire the fabulous countryside and have a pint.
Sampling a half of the Jarrow Brewery's Caulker(not to my liking) I moved on to a pint of the Wylam's Red Kite. Lovely!
I was amazed to find that the place was family owned, being purchased in 1976 and beautifully restored and extended to its present state.
Another visit must be had to maybe sample the food and the beer (again). For if its as good as the surroundings then it will be excellent.
Another visit 5/11/2010. For a couple of pints of Hobgoblin, a roast lamb and a venison casserole. All smashing and the service 1st class.

No comments:

Post a Comment