Wednesday 27 May 2009

The Chillingham. Chillingham Road, Heaton,Newcastle NE6 5XN

The Chillingham is an enormous pub at the Byker end of Chillingham Road. I used to motor past it regularly on my way to work many years ago. I must admit it looked a bit forbidding and I never stopped to go inside.
A few days ago my son was after a bit of business in Heaton so I cadged a lift and ventured inside. What a pleasant surprise.
The place was sumptiously decorated and had plenty of ornate wood at the bar. Also, it was reasonably quiet!
It turned out I was in the restaurant end. The bar had to be entered via the second outside door. As there was a selection of 4 real ales to choose from here, I had a swift half of Holden's (4.1%)Thigh Bones followed by a second half of Northumberland Brewery's Fog on the Tyne, both beautifully served up by the helpful young barmaid from Harrogate. Smashin'.
Off outside to the other door, to the bar. What a difference. Loud music and an outrageuosly noisy game of pool going on played by 4 inebriated blokes. Harmless enough though! Besides, the Mordue's Workie Ticket was spot on and the atmosphere good.
If your passing this way don't miss it (like I did for years). Sir John Fitzgerald, I'm sure, would give you a warm welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment